Company founded
1836
Founded in 1836, Augusta Township received its name from Judson Durkee who petitioned the government to split a potion of land from Ypsilanti Township. Durkee was part of a similar petition in 1829 to begin a mail route from Detroit to Tecumseh. The original name for the township was Augusta Center, after Mr. Durkee's former home in Augusta, New York. Early Augusta residents numbered around 559 and had a number of livestock including cattle, hogs, sheep and horses.