CHAMBER OF COMMERCE

CHAMBER OF COMMERCE

  • 200 W Garza St
  • Slaton, Texas
  • 79364-4128
  • Phone: (806) 828-6238
  • Fax: (806) 828-6239
  • Website

Description

On April 15, 1911 the Santa Fe Railroad completed the transaction that would eventually lead to the town of Slaton. The railroad company needed a town site that was to serve as a division point to service trains traveling through northwest Texas. Slaton officially opened on June 15, 1911. That day brought people by team and wagon, by train, and on foot, to participate in the land sales. The resulting city was nicknamed " Tent City" referring to the tents the residents lived in while homes and businesses were being built. The town was named in honor of a local rancher and banker O. L. Slaton, who was instrumental in getting Santa Fe Railroad through this area. The town site was designed similar to Washington D. C. which is a wagon wheel pattern. Streets reached outward from the residential and business areas of the community, with City Hall in the center. Slaton eventually serviced four daily northbound and southbound trains between Amarillo and Sweetwater. Soon the Harvey House restaurant was established and Slaton became the center of the largest division in the Santa Fe system. The post office had been established in 1910.

Fact sheet

Company founded
1915

Products & services

Similar companies nearby