-
Riverview Golf Course
Distance: 1.2 Mi64 Road 6520
87417 Kirtland -
Desert Mountain Corporation
Distance: 1.9 Mi4381 Highway 64
87417 Kirtland -
Kirtland Realty
Distance: 0.0 MiPO Box 1134
87417-1134 Kirtland -
Foutz Trading Co
Distance: 0.9 Mi4129 Highway 64
87417-9411 Kirtland
Description
Our church began in the summer of 1957 as a Bible school that was held in a tent in the township of Kirtland. As a direct result of this Bible school, Brother Leon Snelson approached Calvary Baptist Church, now Central of Farmington, to start a mission in Kirtland. For the next few months the fledgling mission met in the home of William and Patricia Ware in the San Juan River Plant. Calvary Church furnished folding chairs, hymn books and a portable organ. As the vision of a church began to materialize the people began to search for a place to meet. Brother Snelson who lived in a mobile home on a lot in Beaver Subdivision donated that property to the mission to build a meeting house. With volunteer labor the mission built a wood frame, flat-roofed, 46' x 40' building with tar-paper siding. The congregation began holding meetings in this building in January, 1958. On February 23, 1958, the First Baptist Church was officially organized with the following charter members: Ira Carter Furrh, Lena Furrh, Anthony Furrh, Warren K. Groff, Florence Groff, Claretta Groff, Warren Groff, Jr. Lena McPerson, Norma Mitchell, Clifton J. Roberts, Barbara Sue Roberts, Leo H. Snelson, Mary Jim Snelson, Leon Snelson (Pastor) Bonnie Snelson, Terry Snelson, Herbert Stalcup, Jimmie Stalcup, William Ware, Patricia Ware.