-
Bobcat Boats Inc
Distance: 5.8 Mi5088 Hwy 171
71030 Gloster -
DOC S Place
Distance: 5.8 Mi12854 Highway 171
71052-5612 Mansfield -
One Planet Solar & Wind, LLC
Distance: 10.2 Mi2068 Highway 171 Ste 2
71078-9385 Stonewall -
Lagniappe & Castillo Research, LLC
Distance: 7.9 Mi110 Welsh Street
71052 Mansfield -
Jimmy Granger Ford Mercury
Distance: 12.3 MiPO Box 537
71078-0537 Stonewall
Description
In 1881, Amanda Hobgood (widow of Wright Hobgood) deeded land to the New Orleans & Pacific Railway and had the Village of Grand Cane laid out in lots and streets. By 1899, the Village of Grand Cane was incorporated and the first Mayor was E.R. Fortson. The first Village Councilmen where Paul E. Allen, Loderick Monroe Cook, and Dr. J.B. Johns. The population soon grew to almost 500. As the Village developed, spurred by the railway and the two crossroads (LA Hwys. 171 and 3015), a vigorous business community developed which included seven stores (Tidwell, Ricks Bros., Hicks & Richardson, Peyton, Hoell, Cook & Douglas, and George Parker), a dentist (Dr. Platt), bank, post office, blacksmith shop, livery stable, two hotels (Allen & Jackson), four doctors (Drs. Broadway, Leopold, Bannaman, & Curtis), three drug stores (Edwards, Leopold, & Allen), telephone office, newspaper, restaurant, two cotton gins, and various distinguished residential homes. The community was also enhanced by the first accredited public high school in the State of Louisiana, and a Presbyterian, Methodist, and two Baptist churches. The Village continued to thrive until the Great Depression of 1929. The downward spiral continued with the demise of the Texas & Pacific Railway in the late 1950's. The steady decline of the agricultural industry, the lack of new businesses, the loss of the public school, and a general movement away from the rural area saw the end of the Village as a center for trade...