Eaton's Opera House

Eaton's Opera House

  • 328 N Maple St
  • Eaton, Ohio
  • 45320

Description

The town of Eaton was platted on February 20th, 1806, by William Bruce, who built the area's first gristmill. It was recorded on the same date in Montgomery County, Ohio. It was not recorded in Preble County until December 27, 1825. The U.S. victory in the Tripolitan War against the Barbary Pirates in 1805 provided a strong influence as the United States celebrated its first naval triumph as an independent country. Our Marine Corps Hymn, of course, highlights reference to "The Shores of Tripoli" The Commander of the American Naval Fleet in the Mediterranean during the Tripolitan War was Commodore Edward Preble in honor of whom Preble County was named. The county seat, Eaton, was named for William Eaton, the U.S. Consul at Tunis, who led a diverse army in a harrowing march from Egypt to Tripoli to meet the U.S. Naval forces. Decatur, Israel, Wadsworth and Somers streets in Eaton were all named in honor of other heroes of the Tripolitan War. The town consisted of 233 lots with St. Clair's Creek (Seven Mile Creek) forming its western boundary. Water street followed the course of the waterway. Also running north and south were Walnut, Beech, Barron, Cherry and Maple streets, intersected by Israel, Wadsworth, Preble (later Main), Somers and Decatur Streets running east and west. William Bruce reserved for himself and his heirs the ground located between Water Street and the creek for the purpose of building mills or waterworks but specified that if the land should not be in use...

Products & services

Similar companies nearby